Friday, June 17, 2005

The Beginning of Lasts

Now that we're living out of cardboard boxes in a borrowed apartment, I'm constantly painfully aware that the clock is ticking on what's left of our time in Abilene. We've hit that part of a major life transition where you begin facing "last times." With some people and events there's a confident hope that we'll experience them again years down the road. With others I wonder at the possibly of this being our last time together, ever.

We moved apartments and got rid of all our furniture ---> including the dinner table! (f.y.i. all you non-simple church folks: dinner tables are a big deal.) Losing the table signifies to me that we've hosted our church family in the dorm for the last time.

Bio, a friend and classmate from Recife, finished defending his Master's thesis on Friday and left with his family for Brazil on Tuesday. That means we've spent an evening of endless easy-flowing conversation where time has no meaning with Bio & Dayse and their daughters Hannah and Jasmine for the last time. (If you don't know any Brazilians, you are missing out!)

We've worshiped on a 1st Sunday with our whole church network for the last time.

Last night was 3rd Wednesday, the one time a month when all the churches in our network get together for a meal and worship. After doing it for years, I have planned and led the worship for that spiritual family the last time.

Kelly and Houston, friends with whom we've shared prayer and mentoring groups, Africa internships, bachelor parties and a whole lot else, are leaving for Sudan on Monday with D. & B. So many memories... but standing stark-naked with Houston (when you're a naked white boy in rural Africa, stark is exactly what you are) on banana leaves, hanging our clothes on tree branches while trying to take a sponge bath in near-total darkness is one I won't forget any time soon. That village had never seen the night so bright! Naming our goats before we beheaded them is another one. We'll say goodbye to D., our weekly mentor and friend for something like two years along with his wife B., tomorrow over lunch. As far as the Abilene chapter of our life is concerned, we've hung out with them for the last time.

My apologies that this is so depressing (what do you expect, we're trying to close out 8 years of life here =)! Here's one "last" that I've been looking forward to for a while... Yesterday the Ducky (our mostly-yellow 1977 Chevy Nova) started making noises I have not heard before. But since we're getting rid of it in a few weeks and it's pushing 40 degrees (100'F) outside, I refuse to check it out... that means I've done repairs on that car in the Texas summer sunshine for the last time!

These are just some of our most recent "lasts" and we know there are many more to come. Even though I have learned to appreciate aspects of Texas over the years that I could not see before, I still don't think I'll miss this town (no offense, but this town is not my home and for 8 years I've been just a-passing through! =). But our extended Christ community has become home. The paths ahead of us to Canada and then China are as exciting as all get out (8 years and I still don't know what that means), but I think a part of us will be left behind - not in Abilene, but in the shared lives in Christ of Sean, Brian, Ed, Iris, Nelson, Josh, Ralph & Tracy, Kelley & James, Darryl & Suzy, Brian & Holly, Travis & Alicia, K. & K, Miller & Deanna, and a long list of other sisters and brothers. Leaving and losing like this is an unavoidable part of the life we've chosen, but if we have to leave a piece of us behind, I can't think of any other people I'd rather leave it with. Thank God for Christ's family!

1 Comments:

At 6/19/2005 06:42:00 PM, Blogger Tony said...

What's up Canuck!!! Steven Burgess said hello from you to us, and Zee and I both smiled at the thought of you guys. I think that its great that you are headed to China, I know that God will bless you adventure there. I look forward to hearing all about it.

Tony

 

Post a Comment

<< Home